This is one of those quick and easy recipes that I love so much. It does however contain a large amount of butter so be warned.
I don’t generally have Ciabatta handy so I’m making do with a half a Baguette.
- Melt a good chunk of butter on a frying pan.
- Chop your shallots (or Red onion will do too .. normal onions I find require a good bit more cooking to get rid of any harshness). You want them fairly fine.
- Place shallots into the melted butter. Add some water so help prevent the butter drying too much. Reduce heat and let it bubble away
- Chop your tomatoes (I used 3 medium) again the smaller the better here you’re going to be spreading this on your bread. Add to the onion mixture. Add more butter if required (you want the mixture to be moist as it’s going to be spread all over your bread. Add some fresh basil if you have some. (Again I used a frozen basil mix that gives a really fresh taste)
- Spread your mixture over your baguette which you’ve split down the center (I like to keep it stuck together) Grate some emmental cheese on top and add some freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Grill for 5 – 10 minutes (until the cheese is nicely melted on top) keeping an eye so it doesn’t burn